Author Topic: Hey Grumpy  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
  • Just another old fart that likes to ride.
Hey Grumpy
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
I don't know if your ad problem is from Yuku or Photobucket. I suspect it may be from Photobucket.

Here's a sample of what we're running into. It's really hanging the browser up as the ads load. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Let's start with Firefox. Firefox shows at the bottom left what is trying to load and I caught that a couple of times in my screenshots.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]
[attach=4]

At this point, Firefox was totally hung up. I rebooted and switched to Chrome.
(I'm going to have to split this into several posts.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution. - Abe Lincoln

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
Re: Hey Grumpy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
A fresh boot and opened Chrome. Not any better.

[attach=1]
[attach=2]

Then rebooted again and opened the weekly with Internet Explorer 11

[attach=3]
[attach=4]
[attach=5]

We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution. - Abe Lincoln

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
As I said, I have a sneaking hunch it may be Photobucket. If I can do anything to help you figure this out, just holler.

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
I take that back, I'm now convinced it's a Yuku problem.

I opened your page in a "New Private Window" in Firefox. I got two ads, one at the top center of your page and the other at the bottom of my screen. Notice the "Remove This Ad" link under the ad. That's the exact same font and color as the "Previous Topic" and "Next Topic" links on the page. That's part of Yuku.

[attach=1]

I clicked on the remove this ad link and it took me to a page to create a Yuku account. I opened a Yuku page for free. Then still logged into Yuku, I reloaded your page. The ad popped up again. When I clicked on the link this time, it tried to get me to pay to loose the ads. Yeah, right.

I did notice that if I scrolled slowly through your weekly, no ads loaded. If I stopped on any picture for more than a few seconds, the ads started loading.

[attach=2]

Offline G : (

• OFOPOS Ambassador
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »
Thanks, Smitty.  I'll look into it.  I can't find anywhere to get direct contact with YUKU or their parent company.

G  : (

Offline hawwk

• OFOPOS
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »
I see what Smitty is saying about the ads, but I don't have them here when I look at the pics. I even just left the page open about half way through the pics for about 5min's and no ad's. If this was a yuka thing would it not be happening on everyone who opens the page?  Could this be just an American thing and not happening in other country's

Offline Coff 06

• Avenue of The Giants.
  • OFOPOS
  • Warren
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Not sure if it makes any difference.I use an iPad and get no ads or pop ups.
         Coff 06
Willits,The Heart of Mendocino County,NorCal

Offline texaskatfish

• Old Fart
  • OFOPOS
    • BACA World
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »

Mozilla Firefox (with adblock plus running) = ZERO ADS
Katfish -
Vice President
Cypress Chapter BACA
http://texas.bacaworld.org/

Offline truck

• Old Fart
  • OFOPOS
  • Southeast Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:45 PM »

More info on this please. I thought I had it set up to block ads. What's your secret?
He is as handy as a wheelbarrow in the kitchen

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
Yuku is the only place that I'm having an ad problem.

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Pete, what anti-virus program are you running?

Offline mark61

• OFOPOS
  • Central Pa.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
<I did notice that if I scrolled slowly through your weekly, no ads loaded. If I stopped on any picture for more than a few seconds, the ads started loading.>Smitty

I have never had dsl service speed to achieve this constant scroll. Even if I open the page and give it time to fully load I never make it through without having to wait for more.

Too  bad we can't find a way to be able to post these blog type posts and stay under the max KB without having to use some other site. I do not like those sites-Photobucket, Yuku and a couple others people have pointed me to over the years which is why photo post I do end up being reply after reply adding more photos.

I do have FireFox on this machine but have not learned to use it well enough to be comfortable. If someone can learn me I would shorly 'priciate it!

Offline hawwk

• OFOPOS
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:26:12 AM »
Frank I'm running Microsoft Essentials   I will say when I watch you tube I always get a ad in the bottom of the video
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:41:13 AM by hawwk »

Offline texaskatfish

• Old Fart
  • OFOPOS
    • BACA World
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »

More info on this please. I thought I had it set up to block ads. What's your secret?

Truck as far as I know I don't have a "secret" - on Mozilla under the tools tab one can find adblock plus under "add ons" (or it can be found easily Googling it) - I do believe adblock plus needs to be updated from time to time - I currently see ZERO adds on Grumpy's photo pages
Katfish -
Vice President
Cypress Chapter BACA
http://texas.bacaworld.org/

Offline Keith

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
Smitty install ad block plus into fire fox and I believe all of that will go away.
I feel the need..

Offline truck

• Old Fart
  • OFOPOS
  • Southeast Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

Thanks Dave, that did it for me. :mspthumb:

Truck as far as I know I don't have a "secret" - on Mozilla under the tools tab one can find adblock plus under "add ons" (or it can be found easily Googling it) - I do believe adblock plus needs to be updated from time to time - I currently see ZERO adds on Grumpy's photo pages
Thanks Dave and Keith, that did it for me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:35:42 PM by truck »
He is as handy as a wheelbarrow in the kitchen

Offline Keith

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
Also for any ad you see that does not get blocked, just right click on it and block it. You'll never see it again. Doing this will also make sites that are ad heavy load very fast since the ads are what slows them down.
I feel the need..

Offline Smitty

• Administrator
  • OFOPOS
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
I moved this to the Grumpy archives because of some good info in this post for the ad problem.